VespucciAdventures® Gift Box
Adventure Map & Guide, Compass and Vespucci Accessories.
Edge of Empire
The best of Hadrian's Wall
There’s no denying that Hadrian’s Wall is difficult to get to. However, its remote location is also its key attraction. In short, it is worth the effort. I have walked various parts of Hadrian’s Wall with three of my four children and it has never disappointed. I have concluded, though, that less is more. The part really worth walking is the middle section straddling Steel Rigg and the iconic Sycamore Tree gap. It stretches from Birdoswald Fort to Chollerton, a distance of about 24 miles.
This trip is designed to fit into a long weekend but could easily be extended if time permits. Take the train from Euston, planning to arrive no later than 2pm. Pick up your rental car from Hertz and drive toVindolanda (about 40 minutes away). The museum is excellent and the perfect way to set the scene for the next two days. Check in to the Twice Brewed Inn and spend the next two days walking the very best parts of the wall before heading back to London. You will be amazed at what you have managed to pack in.
Total Days Walking: 2
Distance: 26.5 KM
Walking Time: 7.5 Hours
When to go?
Vespucci Adventures recommends avoiding the high season. Whilst the weather might be better, hotter is not necessarily more enjoyable. Add in the crowds and we think anything is better than July and August. Providing you have the necessary kit (see the VA kit list), this walk works at any time of year although timings are more important in winter. The tourist bus known as the AD122 runs between good Friday and the 1st October. It goes without saying that it is much quieter outside these months.
Edge of Empire 'Best of Hadrian's Wall' (Gift Box)
Signature Gift Box
- Vespucci Customised Map with the relevant route embedded. Vespucci maps also include points of interest and navigation points to ensure you get the best experience possible!
- Vespucci Adventure Guide booklet with highlighted route with waypoints, places of interest, viewpoints and picnic spots. As well as everything you need to know in order to make it happen: transport, accommodation, packed lunches, kit list, emergency first aid list, adventure activities and general information. Experience our experience!
- A Navigation Compass to make sure you don’t keep walking in circles.
- Vespucci Adventure Accessories to show that you belong to our adventure loving community.
- Partner links to train companies, car hire, hotels, B&B and other service providers relevant to your chosen adventure as well as exclusive discounts and offers.